Monday, April 13, 2009

A Short Note on Fundamentalism

Religious fundamentalism of all kinds is wrong. And yes, even Buddhist fundamentalism.

I have been told by many, some my own friends, that I am going to Hell, and I have seen a historical monument of my religion being bombed into pieces. Tell me, if that does not hurt you the way it has hurt me.

And in view of the recent event, I can only say that we need to learn to be more accommodating and respecting of one another. The moment we form a division of "us" and "them", we are falling into a destructive trap that limits the way we live our life.

Cliche as it may sound, all religions preach goodness. Religions should help us to develop more compassion to our fellow human beings, and not be discriminating with our love.

If you recall the national pledge that we used to recite back in our school days, one of the stanzas read "regardless of race, language and religion". And that is what make multi-cultural Singapore beautiful, and its peace and stability an envy of many other nations.

For Buddhists, let us recall and meditate upon the wise words of the Buddha, who has on many occasions, preached for religious acceptance across all faiths.

“If you follow a teacher and you find his teaching is conducive to your peace and happiness, follow him.”

“One should not only honour one’s religion and condemn the religion of others, but one should honour other’s religion for good reason.”

May all find peace and happiness.

No comments: