Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pre-Teen Fellowship Camp Reflections

One good reason why Pre-Teens Fellowship went smoothly is because of the strong support we have from the dedicated members of Manjusri Secondary School's Buddhist Interact Club, who took time off to come help in the camp. Below are some of their reflections:

Through this camp I realised that being a group leader is tiring but fun. At times we needed to pacify the kids, yeah it’s tiring but in the end we had so much fun with them. I also realised that we cannot pamper the kids too much, if not they cannot grow, mature and learn.


It’s really fun when I played with them; I felt that I was of the same age as them! However as a group leader I had an extra duty which was to look after them and make sure they didn’t get into any mischief or trouble. They, as any other kids, were really mischievous and playful. Hence they liked to climb around in the bunk, so we had to make sure they that didn’t fall or hurt themselves.


I felt really nice and comfortable being with them. They treated me like their friends. They shared their secret book with me. However, they lied to me, the secret book was just a page of drawing, and in the end we laughed and laughed and had so much fun. Being with them made me feel relaxed and comfortable.


Everyday with them was fun! But at the end of every day I got real tired. But this gave me a good night sleep. Thank you Mrs Cheng and SBM for giving BIC so many opportunities to lead and gain new experience. I want to thank the campers too. Lastly, I love this camp!


THANK YOU.


LOVE,
ELYSIA (:


Throughout the camp, I have observed that there are many different ways to look after a kid. Many differ according to their personalities. For example, kids who are way too hyperactive will not listen to you if you go soft on them, instead, you have to be firm and make your stand. Kids who are more pampered and mild must be spoken to in a soft and calming way. I also learnt that you need to pay utmost attention to the kids you are looking after or they will definitely get into mischief. Overall, I believe the kids had fun and many could not bear to leave on the last day. It was heart warming when the kids ran to me and gave me a big hug and said ' You are my big sis.' It definitely made my day and all the hard work paid off.

I spent most of the time in the camp looking after a 6 year old girl named Celeste. She was a group member in my group and so being the youngest member in the camp, I placed more attention on her to make sure she was okay, eventually, the kids in the camp took the role of big sisters and big brothers to look after Celeste. It was another heart warming experience. Little Celeste was definitely adorable and she made me her best friend. The sense of achievement is indescribable. I attended the camp feeling sceptical. I was unsure if I could handle the kids especially because I felt that I would not have the patience. As the days progressed, I realise I could actually manage the kids and enjoyed the experience thoroughly. Now that the camp is over, the children's names would occasionally pop out in my head. Their innocence and intelligence has truly touched me. If I have a chance, I would love to work with children more often in future.

Lastly to sum up, I think this camp has been a great learning experience to all BIC members. It was not easy taking charge of playful young kids. However, I definitely loved the time spent with the kids and would love to do it again. I believe the BIC members had an eye-opener and now understand more about dealing with children. Mrs Cheng, thank you for giving us this opportunity.

Hazel


Thank you BIC, for all the hardwork, sweat and late nights with us. For those who are joining us, welcome to the family too!

No comments: